Monday, March 06, 2006

Pronounced Keen-wa



Quinoa.

This 'new' food that's actually been around since the Aztecs. It was revered by them as a sacred seed. Yes it's a seed, not a grain - maybe a sprout of sorts. High in protein - a complete protein. Usually you hae to eat 2 types of protein for your body to correctly metabolise it. Here you can eat just this.

Dead easy to prepare and you can have it savoury as a replacement for rice or pasta, or sweet as a breakfast food. Anyway I still can't cook, but I can make this! When it's cooks, the seed separates to reveal a sprout inside. It's light and fluffy with a slightly crunchy texture. Mmmmmmmm.

5 comments:

noodle said...

OOh, I've had that before… Really nice, I had it as a sort of 'rice' with a mushroom stroganoff. I love how the 'germ' that pops out when its cooked looks like a piggy tail!
The You Are What You Eat chicky actually recommends it as a kinda morning porridge. I'm not too sure but it would be a good protein boost in the morning…

kamlan said...

Yes you got it. It's the same thing. You are what you eat is big here. Kinda gross when they examine your poo!

Carmen Gabriel said...

Ok the POO examination is terrible! I mean... Do we HAVE to see the little poos floating aling that freakin' water tube thingy... GROSS!
But I am very curious about quinoa. Does it taste like lentils or something?
It looks like lentils.
I'm looking for something good for my breakfasts...
ADVICE PLEASE!!

kamlan said...

yeah no poo!!!!

Quinoa doesn't have any specific taste, it's what you add to it, hence the versatility to have sweet or savoury.

Best prepared in advance, as you have to boil it - and if you're rushing in the morning, forget it! Guess you could make extra at supper, than have what's leftover for brekkie...

noodle said...

Hey Carmy check out www.dadamo.com forums for some O type brekkie ideas…