Monday, July 31, 2006

Madonna I was there!


P7300142
Originally uploaded by jakkalina.
Hey this is the Madonna gig that I went to in cardiff on the weekend. Bought my ticket at the last minute online, and drove down. Organised a place to stay on www.couchsurfing.com a really good site where you can hook up with people with a spare room or a couch, and stay for free.

They clearly said no cameras so I didn't take mine in. There were over 60 thousand people, and they DIDN'T search bags, so I could have taken it in! Anyway I bought a camera phone and took some video clips - which looks crappy. ( I made a friend who had a camera and he said he would mail the pics.

But I did have bad seats which were right in the back (seated). The stadium was massive and it looked really breathtaking seeing that many people in one place. The mexican waves that they did was fun with that many people. So I moved further down as closer to the stage that I could get. I moved almost 8 times until I found seats that weren't allocated. Madonna still looked for a stick figure in the distance but it was still better than a lot 40 thousand people behind me! The overall impression of the concert was really amazing. It was pure theatre in a way, with each song preceded by an act / dancer / speaker / video etc. The songs themselves were updated. The older songs were given a very contemporary remixed feel with destroying the essence of the song, while the newer songs were given a retro remix vibe about them, so everything felt really fresh, though familiar. She made amazing use of the videos especially. It was a true multimedia experience. The sound was great and the bass even up where I was sitting was really good. One of the best songs was Music - the did a whole staying alive / disco inferno / 70's remix of it with rollerblades etc. The songs were mostly seamlessly mixed into one another so the pace was quick. One of the most entertaining moments was when they did this remix of sorry on video but it had political commentary and images of george bush and tony blair etc. really well done.

It was very strongly promoting the new album. She played virtually the whole album, and noticly lacking were some big big songs. She didn't play Holiday, Vogue, Don't tell me, Take a Bow, Frozen etc. It's made for the people who saw her last tour. The last tour and this sit well together and a progression from there. She doesn't play the same stuff from one tour to the next, and great it you've seen here before, but it's not a greatest hits tour and not gonna give you the full spectrum of Madonna's career. But for what it was, and what was played, deserves 10/10.



Now the hype is over and back to work. The concert finished at 11 last night, and I drove back almost straight therafter. Got home at about 4am this morning, so feeling really out of it. Also bored and wondering what next to entertain myself with...

No comments: